If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 24 September 2011

My Two Cents ... XXIV

This week's phrase is
"to kick one's heels"

It is another idiom I found in said English crime novel (so, yes, by the time my plane landed, I had three bookmarks stuck in my book: one for each of the two idioms I found, and the last one to mark where I had stopped reading).

What does it mean?

In the novel, and according to online sources as well, this idiom means to wait impatiently.

Where does it come from?

This phrase was first mentioned in writing by Samuel Foote in 1760. My sources didn't tell me in which country it originated; however, I looked for Samuel Foote and found that he was an English dramatist.

My two cents:

Another English expression I profoundly like! This idiom makes me see all the impatience and the pacing back and forth of someone waiting impatiently for someone to come or something to happen while summing it up in just three words.

No comments:

Post a Comment