If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 5 February 2011

My Two Cents ... X

Today's phrase is:

"to play into sb's hands"

What does it mean?

If you are playing into somebody's hands, you act to his advantage. Often, it means that you do so without noticing it.

Where does it come from?

Unfortunately, I have found nothing on the origins of this idiom.

My two cents:

As I haven't found any information on its origin, I can only guess that this phrase comes from some card games where one player unintentionally played a card which helped another player win. The word "hand" in this phrase has nothing to do with the actual body part but means a hand of cards. The German equivalent (jdm. in die Karten spielen) uses the word for cards which only strengthens my guess at its origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment