If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 9 April 2011

Word of the Week ... I

Today, I'm starting a new series for Saturdays: Word of the Week

That is, every week, you will either get a new phrase in "My Two Cents" or a curious, funny, interesting, old-fashioned, ... word in "Word of the Week". Let's start this with the word

"balderdash"

I simply love this word. Ever since I came across it, it has stuck in my head. I first read it in an English crime novel by Anne Perry, one of her Thomas and Charlotte Pitt books which are set in Victorian England at the end of the 19th century. I have no clue if the word is still commonly used nowadays but it certainly is used by me.

Meaning: nonesense

Example: Balderdash! I didn't say this!

Now, my excercise for you: Make up a short example with our Word of the Week and post it in the comments for all of us to read and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment