If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 23 April 2011

Word of the Week ... III

This week's word is... *drumbeats*

"ridiculous"

Ok, why did I choose that word? I love the sound of it. Yes, that's right. I just chose it because I like how it is pronounced.

An intersting fact for all those of you who have read Harry Potter: The English word "ridiculous" is derived from the Latin word "ridiculus", which is also used as a spell in the Harry Potter novels.

Meaning: laughable, funny, silly (something that makes you laugh out loud because you can't believe someone did or said that...)

Example: I can't believe they passed that new law. That's ridiculous!

Now, can you come up with your own examples for our word of the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment