If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Monday 6 June 2011

Summer and Languages...

Do you know where I refresh my Italian, especially in summer? Right, in my favourite café! It's an Italian café and most of the waiters are from Italy. Whenever I'm there, I try to speak only Italian with them (and sometimes even ask if I don't know a certain word, to be able to use it the next time...). They remember me, and no one bothers if I sit there for hours with only one cup of cappuccino, writing away. They don't disturb me. I don't get annoyed or angry stares, no "reminders" to order something more...it's one of my safe heavens for writing with pen and paper.

So, I don't know whether it's because I speak Italian with them or because they just don't mind people spending a lot of time there, but it's my favourite café for several reasons.

First, the obvious: I can actually use (and refresh) my Italian skills, even though the variety of words I need isn't exactly great...

Second, I have a nice place for writing by hand, with no internet or whatever to disturb me but lots of inspiration around me.

Third, the waiters are a friendly bunch over there.

Fourth, they just have some great cappuccino and yummy ice cream...

I actually have two "writing heavens" in my hometown. The second one is a bakery, but I don't get the extra of refreshing some language skills there.

Why am I writing about all this? Well, have you ever looked around and thought about the many different nationalities you can find close by? Why don't you just try to say a few sentences in your waiter's native language the next time you order? Or, if you don't yet know how, just ask him for the words...it's fun, and will most likely get you a smile and some nice memories apart from the food and drinks.

So, please share some of your "summer and language" memories in the comments section for us all to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment