If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Monday 19 December 2011

From the Life of a Bilingual Writer...(III)

Fun Facts

I have started to try lip reading whenever I watch a synchronised (German) version of an English speaking film or series. It is amazing how many words I can already recognise if I pay attention and the face is shown well!

After I had translated my Miro the Dragon stories into English, single sentences or ideas for the next stories come to me in either German or English (which can be quite annoying since the stories started as a German children's book series and are supposed to stay that way, even if they are translated and published in America--does that make sense?)

Every now and then, one of my other languages takes over my mind, and I imagine certain situations in that language. Those "episodes" are often triggered by some random thing, like a name (and it either frustrates or amazes me, depending on how much I actually remember spontaneously).

Even when speaking German, I tend to use American measurements now.

I felt weird talking German to anyone while I was in America. When I did, I often had situations where I instinctively switched back to English.

During my first weeks back in Germany, I ended up using English words and/or sentence structure without noticing until after it was said.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment