If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Are You Overusing Adjectives?

I read a text recently in which almost every noun was accompanied by at least one adjective.

Are you wondering why I mention this, or are you groaning now?

If the latter, you are probably an experienced writer. If the former, you likely need to learn some more about writing (or are simply not interested in it, which is also fine).

It is a common mistake among rather unexperienced writers to think that everything and everyone needs to be described as accurately as possible. Whereas the right adjective at the right place can help readers to visualise and understand the story, too many adjectives destroy the flow.

Yes, a story full of adjectives is tedious to read!

It leaves no room for imagination and forces me to visualise every little thing. If I read a story, though, I want to relax. If my mind produces pictures and images for certain details or scenes, fine, but if it doesn't, I just want to keep reading. I'm not missing out on any reading pleasure if I don't have an accurate picture of everything in my head. Furthermore, my mind may already have formed a specific image for someone. Let's say, my mind pictures the protagonist as a fair young lady, and the book suddenly tells me she's a gingerhead with lots of freckles. It will throw me out of the story for sure. It may be that you visualised her as a gingerhead with lots of freckles, but as long as this information is not necessary for the story, please don't tell me how I have to visualise her (or at least be merciful and give me that information early enough before I form a different picture of her in my head).

The point I'm trying to make is this:

Use adjectives sparingly and doublecheck whether you need it of not for each one.

Sometimes, a little more description can add to the story and the atmosphere, and is welcome. Most of the times, however, it is simply not necessary and will not add anything for the reader at best and throw him out of the story at worst.

Of course, there are different "rules" for the use of adjectives and descriptions for each genre, but one thing stays the same for each one: overusing adjectives and descriptions is considered bad style.

2 comments:

  1. This is bad habit of mine. I will write something and then go back to take out all my adjectives. I'm still working in it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a bad habit many writers have, or had at some point. The trick is to recognise it and work on it during the editing process. ;)

    ReplyDelete