If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Monday 25 July 2011

The Basics - Italian

Ok, today, I'll give you some basics in Italian, just because I love the sound of it. To help you all out with pronunciation (and since I was asked for a pronunciation guide last time I posted a short language course), I found something for you:

Italian Pronunciation (English)
Italian Pronunciation (German)

Exercises

Let's begin with the 5 essentials:

Cursing: Merda! (Shit!)

Thank you: Grazie!

I love you: Ti amo.

Cheers: Cincin! / Alla salute!

Help: Aiuto!

Ok, now we can move on to some basic phrases:

Ciao, sono ... (Hi, I'm...)

Come stai? (How are you?)

Come ti chiami?/Come si chiama? (What's your name? - informal/formal)

Sto bene. (I'm fine.)

Mi dispiace, non parlo l'italiano. (I'm sorry, I don't speak Italian.)

Parli/Parla l'inglese? (Do you speak English? - informal/formal)

Scusa! (Sorry!)

Usually, most people will be more friendly if you at least try to speak a few words or phrases in their native language, and will more likely switch to your language if they know it. And, honestly, it's not that difficult to learn a few phrases before your next trip to Italy, but it can make your trip so much easier and more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment