If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 16 July 2011

My Two Cents ... XXII

This week's phrase:

"a penny for your thoughts"


I came across it in a joke, and it stuck with me, so I did my usual research:

What does it mean?

If someone says to you, 'I'd give a penny for your thoughts,' he wants to know what you are thinking. It is mostly used when someone seems to be distracted and "lost in thoughts". It may, however, be used too if someone wants to ask for an opinion on a certain matter.

Where does it come from?

It appears to be quite an old saying, dating back to the middle of the 16th century when a British penny was still worth quite a bit.

My two cents:

I definitely like this phrase. It sounds nicer than to ask, 'What are you thinking?' and I'll try to include it into my everyday vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment