If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 9 July 2011

My Two Cents ... XXI

This week, it's another phrase I learnt through the English author Richard I. Prescott (thanks again, R.I.P.). It's

"two to the dozen"

What does it mean?

It means that something or someone is doing something very fast (for example a heart is going two to the dozen if someone is really excited).

Where does it come from?

Actually, when I researched the origin, the only phrase I found was "nineteen to the dozen" which originated back in the Cornish copper mines in the 18th century. The newer pumps were able to get out nineteen thousand gallons of water for every twelve bushels of coal.

My two cents:

I personally like "two to the dozen" better although it was very interesting to find out where the phrase got its meaning "very fast" from.

No comments:

Post a Comment