If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Monday 8 August 2011

From the Life of a Bilingual Writer...(II)

Synchronised Thoughts

I have noticed something really strange. At some point during the past weeks, I started having "synchronised" thoughts. That means I was thinking in one language but could "hear" the very same thoughts, almost simultaneously, in the other language. You might now that from TV interviews where they turn down the original voice of the interviewee and mix the translation on top of it. If you strain your ears, you can still listen to the original voice, but what you hear most is the translator's voice.

It happens no matter which one language is the "original" language of that thread of thoughts, and it doesn't happen all the time...

Oh, yes, I know I'm weird...

However, this makes me wonder whether I might, with some practice, be able to do interpreting English-German-English in the future. I'd love to since interpreting, especially simultaneous interpreting, really is the most challenging language job and it would simply be awesome to be capable of doing that. Guess I might practise while watching my beloved NCIS episodes in the evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment