If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Translating vs. Writing

There is a difference between writing a story in English and translating a story from German to English. A huge difference. You see, when I write in English, I think in English. I use English "word pictures", English idioms and phrases. When I translate, though, the story uses German "word pictures", idioms and phrases. It works perfectly in German, and I have the task to make it work with a different set of "language tools". This isn't always easy since these tools can't be translated one to one. I have to use different "word pictures" to make the story work the way I want it to work.

Sometimes, I have no other option than to change the meaning, the intention of a sentence slightly. This isn't because I'm a bad translator; it's just that the two languages work in different ways. If I tried to stick to the original meaning and intention as if it was set in stone, it might well turn out awkward in another language. My goal, therefore, isn't to make each sentence work exactly like the original sentence but to make the story work the same way. If that means changing a sentence or two to make a scene work in the target language, then that's what I do.

I always translate in two steps, no matter whether I translate fiction or non-fiction. My first step is obvious: I have the original text and translate it sentence by sentence, often with help of a good dictionary or two (I like to use a bilingual and a monolingual dictionary, the monolingual one to check use and meaning, and prepositions). The second step, however, might surprise some of you. I close the original document; I don't need it anymore. In this step, I fully concentrate on my target text. I edit it thoroughly to make it work in the target language. In this step, I have to be careful that I don't change any meaning since I don't have the original text open anymore.

To break it down, step one is to transfer the meaning into the target language, while step two is all about the language: sentence structure, word use and meaning, text flow and so on. My two-step translation strategy only works when I work very accurately, of course, since I need to get the meaning right with the first try.

My goal is always to produce a target text that can't be spotted as a translation. Especially when I'm translating my own stories, though, I'm very glad for a second pair of eyes to proofread my final translation. One truth of editing is also true for translations: You tend to overlook awkward sentences and mistakes if you are editing or translating your own writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment