If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 15 October 2011

My Two Cents ... XXV

This week's phrase is

"the die has been cast"

What does it mean?

It means that an irrevocable decision has been made, something that can't be taken back or changed.

Where does it come from?

It is supposed to go back to Julius Caesar, who uttered the Latin equivalent when crossing the Rubicon. There are no written records of this use, however, and the phrase he used wasn't in English. The first English record of this phrase dates back to 1634 and a book written by Sir Thomas Herbert.

My two cents:

I really like this idiom since it reminds me of tabletop gaming. Yes, I'm a total geek, I know. Still, it fits. If you cast your die, you can't take it back, nor change the outcome. The die may, depending on the circumstances, decide your character's fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment