If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 29 October 2011

Word of the Week ... XIX

Today's word is

"to eavesdrop"

The past week, it bugged me that I couldn't remember if it was "eavesdrop" or "eardrop". Somehow, it made more sense to me that it should contain the word "ear" since that is the body part we use to eavesdrop. However, my mind and guts told me it was eavesdrop, so I finally looked it up. My curiosity was spiked, and I wanted to know more about the etymology of this word. Here's what I found out: The eavesdrop referred to the place next to a house where you were still sheltered from rain since most houses had slanted roofs whose eaves projected beyond the walls. The meaning of "to eavesdrop" is supposed to have developed since you could overhear conversations going on inside the house when you stood there.

Meaning: to listen to somebody, often secretly, to overhear others' conversations without being caught, or to actively listen for something

Example: He eavesdropped on his parents last night to find out what they had bought for his birthday.

Can you come up with more examples?

No comments:

Post a Comment