If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Friday 3 December 2010

Language Is More Than Words; It's Magic!

If you have ever come across that saying, you have come across me somewhere. I coined it. It's my motto, no, it's my life. I live this magic. Language has always fascinated me. It gives me power.

You don't see that power?

Have you never wondered why some people seem to get everything they want and others don't? Oh well, maybe it's the looks. But I bet you most of the times it has to do with language. You see, what you say and how you say something has a huge influence on how people react to you. If you apologize for having forgot your bus ticket and you do it friendly and with a smile, you might just get away with it. However, if you just blantly say, 'Hey, everyone has a bad day and forgets his ticket sometimes, so why bother?' you won't have that much luck.

Another example. I am a writer. I love to write, to create. With the use of language, I have the power to create whole worlds, to bring people into life and to kill them again. I have the power to draw pictures of landscapes or to make my readers laugh and cry. All I need for this power is language. It is inside of me; it is inside of everyone. Whether you use your native language or a foreign language, it makes you powerful. You might not be able to draw pictures with a foreign language but just think of the bridges you can build between people of different native languages. You have the power.

Nothing else is so magical. If real magic has ever existed on earth, it has existed in language. And it still does. Just take a moment, stop what you were just doing, feel inside and find that magic inside of you. I know it is there!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like this will be filled with good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! I have already scheduled two more articles for next week :)

    ReplyDelete