If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 25 December 2010

My Two Cents ... IV

I recently used this expression again and thought it would be perfect for today's post:

"That's right up my alley." (also: down one's alley)

What does it mean?

If someone says, 'Hey, that's right up my alley,' he means that it is perfect for him; it's exactly what he likes or is good at.

Where does the phrase come from?

This idiom seems to be first mentioned in the first half of the 20th century, though I couldn't find out where it originally came from. It uses the word "alley" in the sense "one's own province" which dates back to about 1600.

My two cents on this phrase:

I love it! Yes, I simply love this phrase. This might indicate that it originally came from Great Britain (sorry, no offense meant, but somehow British English is more up my alley). The meaning of this phrase is similar to the phrase "my cup of tea" so now I have two nice expressions for saying that I like or am good at something.

As an afterthought: Merry Christmas to all my readers who celebrate it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment