If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Little German Lesson

Ok, as I have been asked to teach some elementary school kids some basic German things, I thought I might as well teach you some basic things as well.

Let's start with the essentials:

I love you = Ich liebe dich

Help! = Hilfe!

Cheers! = Prost!

Thank you = Danke

Shit! = Scheiße!

Now, we can move on to more sophisticated language.

Hello, I am... = Hallo, ich bin ...

How are you? = Wie geht es dir?

I am fine. = Mir geht es gut.

What is your name? = Wie heißt du?

Ok, now that we know our German aquaintance's name and that s/he is fine, we can get down to what we really want to know (Attention, adult content...):

Do we go to you or to me? = Gehen wir zu dir oder zu mir?

Does your husband/wife have a weapon? = Hat dein Ehemann / deine Ehefrau eine Waffe?

Do you have a hot female friend? = Hast du eine heiße Freundin?

Note: If you receive a kick between your legs or some other sort of violence in response to the first question, do not proceed to the other two questions.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Saoirse O'Mara!

    This is a wonderful lesson ... Really helpful, I'd say, if it wouldn't be for one thing. How the b**** would you pronounce the German phrases? I tried to read out loud your phrases, and as a result the cat was hiding under the sofa, my grandma wanted to call the ambulance and the budgie started to attack its mirror ...
    Something's wrong there I'd say. Could you ... I mean, if that isn't too complicated ... and just for me maybe ... would it be possible to post a phonetic transcription? Or some link to whatever webpage so that my computer can read out loud for me?

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melanie,

    I'm sorry that you scared your cat, grandma and budgie...I'll add the phonetic transcription so that no other cats, grandmas and budgies have to suffer ;)

    Just give me a tad bit time to think of the best way how to do it.

    Love,
    Saoirse

    ReplyDelete