If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 12 March 2011

My Two Cents ... XV

Today's phrase is one we probably all know and don't even realise as idiom anymore:

"to take something for granted"

What does it mean?

It means that you don't really appreciate something because you just assume that it is there. For example, if someone helps you and you take it for granted, you aren't grateful because you just expect others to help you.

Where does it come from?

The meaning of this phrase goes as far back as to the early 13th century.

My two cents:

I was really surprised to learn that this phrase is actually that old. I don't even remember when I first stumbled upon it but I have known it for a long time and constantly use it. In my opinion, it's a nice phrase to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment