If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 19 March 2011

My Two Cents ... XVI

I stumbled upon this phrase on...Facebook:

"to put one's money where one's mouth is"

What does it mean?

It means that you should support your boast with evidence. Don't only talk about something, do it (or risk your money if you believe in it = talk about it).

Where does it come from?

This phrase has first been recorded in 1942. There are hints that it was coined in Ireland but the exact origin is uncertain.

My two cents:

This phrase stuck with me when I read it in a Facebook status of a friend so I decided it would be a good one for my blog. I can imagine that it was coined during some sort of bet, that is, that someone boasted about something and his friends dared him to bet money on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment