If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Monday 21 November 2011

British English versus American English

Since I was taught British English back at school, and am now exposed to American English on a daily basis, I thought I would give you a short breakdown of the basic differences between those two variants of the English language. Actually, this subject came up last week between my boyfriend and me, which is what made me think about it again. So, here is what I remember:

Spelling:

ou versus o
humour/humor, armour/armor, behaviour/behavior

re versus er
centre/center, theatre/theater

l versus ll
fulfil/fulfill, but: fulfilling/fulfilling

sc versus sk
sceptical/skeptical

s versus z
scrutinise/scrutinize, realise/realize

c versus s
licence/license, defence/defense

y versus i/a
tyre/tire, pyjamas/pajamas

ae versus e
paediatrician/pediatrician, encyclopaedia/encyclopedia

Pronunciation:

[a:] versus [ae]
dance, can't

Vocabulary:

pavement/sidewalk
lift/elevator
lorry/truck
marks/grades
tuition/tutoring
flat/apartment
torch/flashlight
jumper/sweater

Can anyone think of other examples? I would love to collect more examples of differences, either in spelling, pronunciation or vocabulary. Simply put your examples int he comments, please! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment