If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 26 November 2011

My Two Cents ... XXVII

Today's phrase is

"in the nick of time"

What does it mean?

If something happens in the nick of time, it happens in exactly the right moment.

Where does it come from?

Apparently, "nick" in this phrase means a notch which was used as a marker in former centuries; thus, something that is "in the nick" is exactly where it should be. The oldest record of this phrase is from the 1640s, although the meaning seems to be several decades older.

My two cents:

I like this phrase a lot better than the more common phrase "just in time", which has a similar meaning. This is definitely another phrase which will be saved in my memory for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment