If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 29 January 2011

My Two Cents ... IX

Today's phrase came to me through the blog of a fellow writer, Lindsay Maddox.

"to be in cahoots with someone"

What does this phrase mean?

It means that you are in a conspiracy with someone. You are planning something illegal or some kind of mischief together.

Where does it come from?

I found out that it's a US expression and likely to come from the Spanish word "cohort". It goes back to the 19th century and was formerly used in its singular form.

My two cents:

Ok, so a misunderstanding in Wild West America probably ended in this nice idiom. So no one tell me mistakes can't be positive...hehe. I like this expression and will certainly keep it in mind for future use. Thanks to the cowboy whose Spanish listening comprehension ended in this misunderstanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment