If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 22 January 2011

My Two Cents ... VIII

During an editing job, I came across the phrase

"to live it up"

To be honest, I had to look this one up. However, here's what I found out, as well as my two cents:

What does it mean?

To live it up means to enjoy oneself, to live life without worries or remorse. Most of the time, it also means to spend quite some money in order to enjoy oneself.

Where does it come from?

I haven't found out where its origins are, but at least I found out when it was apparently coined: in 1951. This phrase is quite a recent phrase.

My two cents on this one:

It is a handy phrase as it involves more than just "Enjoy yourself!" I will certainly keep it in mind, though I can't predict if it will find its way into my regular vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment