If you love Language Love, you can help me maintain the website! Thank you :-)

Saturday 8 January 2011

My Two Cents ... VI

As my last one isn't so long ago (New Year's Day to be precise), I wondered where the phrase

"to have a hangover"

might come from ...

What does it mean?

A hangover describes the headache and stomach sickness on the morning after drinking alcohol.

Where does it come from?

The phrase seems to be relatively new. Its first mentioning seems to be dated from 1904 in the above sense. It was coined with the thought in mind that something stays from the evening before, thus "hangs over" to the next morning.

My Two Cents:

Either people knew far better tricks against drinking then we do, or the effects were much worse than a simple headache and stomach queasiness. It seems strange that this phrase is so young, and as far as I have found out, there haven't been many similar expressions before this.

However, here are my personal hangover tricks (as we are already at this topic ...): Drink water in between or at least before going to bed that night. The next morning, my hangover breakfast consists of scrumbled eggs spiced with salt, pepper and paprika, and baked rolls. Normally, my hangover will disappear after that breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment